See photos (3)

Eglise Saint-Jean

Historic site and monument, Religious heritage, Church, Gothic in Castelsarrasin
  • The founders At first, the Brothers of Saint John of Jerusalem established themselves in the rural area of ​​Castelsarrasin. The arrival of the Knights of Saint-Jean intramural in 1216 divides the city into two parishes: Saint-Jean and Saint-Sauveur. In 1530, the Order of Knights became the Order of Malta, as evidenced by the openings of the bell tower and the stained glass of the choir. History 1216: 1st mention of the Church of St. John, founded by the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem....
    The founders At first, the Brothers of Saint John of Jerusalem established themselves in the rural area of ​​Castelsarrasin. The arrival of the Knights of Saint-Jean intramural in 1216 divides the city into two parishes: Saint-Jean and Saint-Sauveur. In 1530, the Order of Knights became the Order of Malta, as evidenced by the openings of the bell tower and the stained glass of the choir. History 1216: 1st mention of the Church of St. John, founded by the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem. 1497: The early church did not resist the onslaught of time,  art specialists advocate its reconstruction. 1512: The work is awarded to Jean Gozé. 1560: Presumed end of work (date on the stone inserted in the facade). The nature of the work (total or partial reconstruction) and the reason for such a duration (45 years) are unknown to us. Yet the harmony of the whole and the homogeneity of its apparatus force to believe that the church was rebuilt integrally. 1925: The painter Tarn-et-Garonnais René Gaillard-Lala, adorns the interior with paintings depicting scenes from the Bible as well as important figures of local history and the order of Malta.
  • Environment
    • Cycle track/route within 500 m
  • Spoken languages
    • French
Openings
Openings
  • All year 2022
    Opened Everyday