See photos (5)

Collegiate church of Saint-Martin

Historic site and monument, Religious heritage, Collegiate church, Church, Classified in Montpezat-de-Quercy
  • Gothic building with exceptional Flemish tapestries.

  • Cardinal Pierre des Prés (circa 1280-1361), a descendant of the lords of Montpezat, wanted to have a funerary church to rest in after his death in his native village. He had this remarkable example of southern Gothic architecture built. Served by a college of 15 canons housed in the timber-framed houses visible on the north side, the collegiate church was also a parish church. A rich collection of furnishings remains, a vestige of the treasures accumulated since the Middle Ages thanks to the...
    Cardinal Pierre des Prés (circa 1280-1361), a descendant of the lords of Montpezat, wanted to have a funerary church to rest in after his death in his native village. He had this remarkable example of southern Gothic architecture built. Served by a college of 15 canons housed in the timber-framed houses visible on the north side, the collegiate church was also a parish church. A rich collection of furnishings remains, a vestige of the treasures accumulated since the Middle Ages thanks to the bequests of the Cardinal des Prés, whose beautiful marble recumbent statue perpetuates the memory.
    The Virgin with Doves, a work by the Master of Rieux, a 14th century Toulouse artist, the English alabasters, the 15th century Italian caskets, the Pietà from 1475, the woodwork and the paintings, all lead up to the most important piece: the Flemish tapestries illustrating episodes in the life of Saint Martin, woven for the church around 1519-1524 and restored in 2016, a jewel that is a must see.
  • Environment
    • Village centre
Services
  • Equipment
    • Car park
  • Services
    • Guided tours
Openings
Openings
  • All year 2022
    Opened Everyday