See photos (3)

The Ursuline Convent

Historic site and monument, Religious heritage, Convent, listed in Montpezat-de-Quercy
  • On 13 October 1631, Suzane d'Aster de Gramont, Marquise de Montpezat, widow of Henri des Prés, in accordance with the wishes of her husband, founded the convent of the URSULINES nuns of the Order of Saint Augustine. The nuns were recruited from the nobility and the bourgeoisie of Quercy. The Order provided young girls from all walks of life, but especially from modest backgrounds, with a theoretical and practical education. In 1776, the 28 choir sisters and the 7 converses were granted the...
    On 13 October 1631, Suzane d'Aster de Gramont, Marquise de Montpezat, widow of Henri des Prés, in accordance with the wishes of her husband, founded the convent of the URSULINES nuns of the Order of Saint Augustine. The nuns were recruited from the nobility and the bourgeoisie of Quercy. The Order provided young girls from all walks of life, but especially from modest backgrounds, with a theoretical and practical education. In 1776, the 28 choir sisters and the 7 converses were granted the title of Royal House of Education by letters patent from King Louis XIV.
    During the revolution: despite the opposition of the notables, the convent was evacuated on 2 October 1792. The sisters hid in the families of the surrounding area... The convent was sold at auction. Requisitioned by the municipality, it was used in turn as a gendarmerie, a prison and for the manufacture of saltpetre... Then, a Montpezatais bought the building. In reality, it was used as a front for Sister Sophie (Marguerite de Bellefon) who reinstated a clandestine education in 1801. Education became official in 1827.
    In the twentieth century: the law forbids the Ursulines to teach young girls. A delay is obtained until 1911. Teaching was maintained in a private house belonging to Xavier Galabert (nephew of Firmin Galabert, parish priest of Montpezat). The Ursulines finally left in 1925. The sisters dispersed to other convents. The buildings were sold to the commune in 1927. The furniture was dispersed: to the Collegiate Church among others (painting by B. Bénézet of Sister Angèle de Mérici, founder of the Ursulines. pulpit from the end of the 18th century). The bronze seal of the convent representing St Augustine in full length, holding a burning heart, was found in Montauban in a private collection.

    Today, the cloister houses the municipal school and the media library.
  • Environment
    • Village centre
Services
  • Equipment
    • Media library