See photos (2)

Gateway to the city

Historic site and monument, Historic patrimony, Door, Classified in Montpezat-de-Quercy
  • Built in the 14th century and classified as a historical monument, it is the last gate still visible, whereas the town had five.

  • Montpezat-de-Quercy was once protected by ramparts and ditches. The ramparts were rebuilt in the 14th century to protect the city during the Hundred Years' War (1337-1453) between France and England. The ramparts were defended by several watchtowers (small guard posts) from which the surroundings could be monitored. The ditches have since been filled in but corresponded to the route of the boulevard passing right in front of the Tourist Office, and quite simply called “boulevard des...
    Montpezat-de-Quercy was once protected by ramparts and ditches. The ramparts were rebuilt in the 14th century to protect the city during the Hundred Years' War (1337-1453) between France and England. The ramparts were defended by several watchtowers (small guard posts) from which the surroundings could be monitored. The ditches have since been filled in but corresponded to the route of the boulevard passing right in front of the Tourist Office, and quite simply called “boulevard des ditches”!

    Five gates allowed entry into Montpezat. This is the last one still visible, the so-called Hospital. It was formerly closed by heavy wooden doors. Inside these doors a small door had been installed, always closed, which allowed the guards to communicate with passing travelers wishing to enter the city.
Close