See photos (4)

Dovecote kennel

Historic site and monument, Historic patrimony, Dovecote in Auty
  • According to the matrices from the end of the 19th century, the kennel was built in 1860 for Marcillac de Cruzy, owner of the Château d'Auty. The kennel is set back from the departmental road n° 22. It is located on the alignment of the tree-lined driveway leading to the castle to which it belonged. Only the ground floor is reserved for hunting dogs, the overhanging roof is for pigeons.
    The building is octagonal in plan, built of brick and lime plastered on each of the eight bays. The only...
    According to the matrices from the end of the 19th century, the kennel was built in 1860 for Marcillac de Cruzy, owner of the Château d'Auty. The kennel is set back from the departmental road n° 22. It is located on the alignment of the tree-lined driveway leading to the castle to which it belonged. Only the ground floor is reserved for hunting dogs, the overhanging roof is for pigeons.
    The building is octagonal in plan, built of brick and lime plastered on each of the eight bays. The only parts not plastered are the frames of the openings, the moulded brickwork, the cornice and part of the flashing. The entrances are on the east and north sides through two pointed arch doors. Each of the other bays is lit by narrow pointed-arch openings. Pigeon access is through a dormer window built into the eastern side of the polygonal roof and probably through a rectangular opening in the southern bay. The flat-tiled roof is topped by a zinc finial topped by a sheet metal weathervane. The weathervane represents a dog tackling a bird to the ground. Inside, an intermediate floor separated the dogs' level from that of the pigeons. The dovecote was restored in 2013.